Auckland's Summernova festival
Hurl yourself into the speed, sunshine and spying antics of the 36th America’s Cup in Auckland with Summernova, an epic summer festival series based around the always-exciting sailing series.
- Enjoy outdoor art at Britomart’s satellite presentation of Toi Tū Toi Ora (December 5 – March 31), the largest exhibition of contemporary Māori art in Aotearoa in almost 20 years (and don’t miss the full exhibition at Auckland Art Gallery).
- Head across the bridge to Smales Farm for Sunsetter Food and Wine Festival (February 13) for big beats from Stellar*, Automatic 80’s and General Lee, plus some of our country’s best bevvies and festival food from epic eateries.
- Check out Auckland’s emerging youth art talent at one of the city’s Young at Art hubs (February 21 – March 21), where the city’s next big things are curating and presenting art for the community.
- Get on Island Time (February 27 – 28) on Motutapu Island. Enjoy a spectacular trip to this laidback land, taste the region’s great food and drink and dance your feet off to local bands and DJs. Soak up the island’s history from local iwi and contribute to the care of the island’s takahe, kiwi, kakariki and more.
- Don’t let the sailors have all the fun – get on the water at Waterbourne (February 27 – March 21), New Zealand’s biggest beach festival. Compete in paddle ninja games (like Wipeout, but on paddle boards), sandcastle building competitions and fun runs, enjoy live music and movie nights, and join in a big old beautiful beach clean.